Fishermen almost perfect in the storm

Eyemouth United 3

Kelso United 1


GEORGE RILEY reports from Warner Park

Kelso United went out of this first-round King Cup tie to a tenacious Eyemouth side who coped better with the wet and windy conditions.

With four first team regulars missing it was always going to be an uphill struggle for the visitors and so it proved.

With a strong wind at their back Eyemouth were on the offensive from the kick-off and with only two minutes gone striker Andrew Sword flashed a shot past the post.

The home side continued to press and went ahead after 17 minutes when a corner on the right was swung into the Kelso box. The visiting defence tried to clear, but the ball was deflected off an unintentional Eyemouth hand into the path of Jonny Simpson, who fired past the despairing Scott Dowie.

Eyemouth were now in control and several attempts were made on the Kelso goal before the half-time whistle.

Thankfully, the visiting defence were on their toes, keeping the scoreline at 1-0.

Just after the break Kelso had chances to equalise, a ball swung into the box by John McCutcheon found Andrew Henderson, but the striker shot past the post when challenged by the Eyemouth keeper.

This was followed by a cross from Chris Black to David Knox running through on goal, but the midfielder failed to hit the target.

A long kick-out from Dowie skidded off the turf in the penalty box and Eyemouth keeper Dean Avery did well to tip the ball over the bar.

The Fishermen fought back, however, and went further ahead after 75 minutes when a ball from midfield found Steven Shennan through on goal. Dowie dived at the feet of the Eyemouth man and, although it looked as if the keeper may have touched the ball, his momentum upended the number 15 and referee Michael Scott pointed straight to the spot.

The penalty was converted by Shennan.

Six minutes from time, Eyemouth went three up. It was a memorable introduction to East of Scotland football for young Kelso United fullback Sean Angus – scoring on his debut – unfortunately it was at the wrong end.

A ball from the right was crossed into the visitors’ box, David Knox missed his header at the near post and the ball came quickly to Angus who tried to clear, but sliced the ball out of the reach of substitute keeper Bruce Connelly and into the net.

Kelso did get a consolation goal a minute from time when a hurried kick-out from Eyemouth keeper Dean Avery hit the back of his own defender Keiren Ainslie – the ball ending up back in the box where Damien McNulty was on hand to casually stroke it into the empty net.

Kelso United: S. Dowie, J. McCutcheon, S. Harker, L. Dunn, S. Andrews, C. Black, D. McNulty, J. Swales, D. Knox, J. Waugh, A. Henderson. Subs: J. Milner, B. Connelly, plus two trialists.