Fairies in brave attempt to hold back the mighty Clyde

Gala F’dean Rovers 0

Clyde 3

Gala's Stuart Noble takes on Iain Gray of Clyde during Saturday's second round clash

Gala's Stuart Noble takes on Iain Gray of Clyde during Saturday's second round clash

It was a gallant attempt to hold back the floodwaters, but it was only a matter of time before Gala pulled their collective thumb out of the dyke, writes Kevin Janiak.

The Bully Wee may be mithering in the depths of Scottish Division Two, but they were, of course, strongly fancied to ease past the Netherdale men to record their first win in the Scottish Cup since 2008.

And that is what they did, but it took them an hour to get on the scoresheet. And with the other goals coming in the 77th and 89th minutes, it’s fair to say that the scoreline did not reflect the true story of the match.

Clyde manager Jim Duffy told TheSouthern: “I’m just delighted to have got through as cup competitions are notoriously difficult for Clyde.

“It was really difficult as Gala gave it everything, but on the balance of play, I think we thoroughly deserved the win.”

Gala boss Steven Noble was proud of the way his players committed themselves to the challenge.

He told us: “In the first half we contained Clyde, and kept the ball well.

“But Clyde play at a higher level week in, week out, so it was probably their experience that won them the game.”

A fairly solid first half saw the home side up against it, with some tortuous defending at times.

They were saved by the woodwork twice and goalkeeper John Dodds’ feet once.

Gala’s Kyle Collins, David Bonnar and skipper Sean Paliczka were, perhaps, their top performers, along with Dodds, as they showed few gameday nerves against league opposition.

But it was all for naught. Patrick Scallion set up Kevin Watt in the 60th minute and he turned quickly and struck a sweet shot past Dodds.

Clyde sub Michael Daly made it two by heading in a Scott Ferguson corner, And Stuart McColm skipped through the fatigued defence in the last minute for the third.

It’s the end of the road to Hampden for Gala, but they can pride themselves on being the last Borders club in the competition, and feel content in enjoying a good payday – there were 705 through the turnstiles, the biggest gate in the second round, which shows just how much this young team has won the hearts of the community.

Gala Fairydean: J. Dodds, B. Miller, J. Inglis, K. Collins, C. McBride, D. Bonnar, C. Jardine (B. Noble 81 mins), D. McColm (D. Sutherland 69 mins), J. Gibson (M. Berry 65 mins), S. Paliczka and S. Noble.

z See our website www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk for full post-match interviews with the two managers.