Fairies denied by the woodwork

Easthouses Lily 1

Gala Fairydean 1


JOHN CLAYTON reports from Newbattle Complex

ON A miserable, windy day that saw several fixtures postponed, this match took place in gale-force conditions that clearly impeded good football.

Easthouses kicked off with the wind at their backs in the hope of gaining an advantage in the first 45 minutes. This almost paid off in the sixth minute when Boggie swung in a free kick from out wide and saw it clip the top of the crossbar.

It was the visitors who took the lead on 10 minutes when Aaron Brunton picked up the ball near the corner flag and beat two defenders before bursting into the area and beating keeper Young with a shot from a narrow angle.

The hosts replied with a long-range effort from Love which appeared to be heading for the top left-hand corner before Elliot Turnbull acrobatically pushed the shot wide for a corner.

Corners were always dangerous for Gala, facing the high wind, and Easthouses equalised when the ball was delivered low across the six-yard box and eluded a clutch of players before reaching McQueenie who stabbed it home from short range.

With the wind behind them in the second period, Gala still had difficulty searching out another goal, with many balls being overhit and Young making a string of fine saves.

Midway through the half, Easthouses threw on all three of their substitutes, but it was Gala who came closest to snatching the winner.

Jack Hay, who was celebrating his 18th birthday by playing in the unfamiliar role of left back, slipped the ball to Jay Wilson, whose cross picked out Craig Livingstone.

Unfortunately a combination of the keeper and crossbar prevented a goal. The game finished almost as it had started when Wilson took a free kick from out wide and saw his effort clip the bar and stay out to see the points shared.

Gala Fairydean: E. Turnbull, G. Hay, J. Hay, C. Lothian, P. Young, B. Hunter (C. McBride), A. Jackson, G. Gass, A. Brunton, C. Livingstone, J. Wilson.