End of season damp squib for Kelso United

Easthouses Lily 5 Kelso United 3


UNITED ended the season on a low, defeated by a strong and physical Easthouses team in terrible weather conditions at Newbattle.

The pouring rain and wind did not help either team and made for a game of mistakes rather than skill. Kelso seemed to be in control of the game at 2-1 up midway through the first half but lack of concentration at vital times proved to be the downfall of the visitor’s.

United got off to the worst possible start when the home team went in front after 35 seconds. A ball from midfield bounced up and hit the hand of Garry Mabon 30 yards from goal. From the resultant free kick man mountain John Hunter fired a powerful shot which United keeper Scott Treible did well to parry onto the post. However, Lily midfielder Jason Young was first to react to the ball and slotted into the net.

Kelso then went on the attack and a ball from left found Des Burnett at the edge of the box who squared for Calum McClure but the young winger’s shot was saved by Bryan Young in the home goal.

United were unlucky in the 15th minute when Des Burnett struck the post following some good work by Jordan Lauder, however the strikers luck was about to change a minute later when he got in front of the Lily defence and promptly dispatched the ball past Young.

Kelso were in the ascendency and went in front midway through the half. Burnett latched onto a ball from midfield and laid a pass to the right where McClure was running at pace, the wing man took a touch before firing past the advancing keeper.

McClure then had a shot saved at point blank range by the home keeper after Lauder had headed into his path from a Graeme Gillie cross.

Liam Hill was then United’s saviour when he headed off the line an in swinging corner from Jason Young.

Lily equalised after 37 minutes, a quick throw in from the right touchline found midfielder Scott Borthwick in space who shot from the edge of the box, this was blocked by Treible but once again it was a home forward who pounced this time Graeme Young to knock home.

Five minutes from the break and the home side went in front, using the wind to his advantage Jason Young swung in a corner from the left which sailed over everybody and into the top corner of the net.

Treible was called into action early in the second half making a good save from Rory McKinnon’s 30 yard shot.

Midway through the half Easthouses made it four when Hunter picked up the ball in midfield and drove to the edge of the box where he slotted a left foot shot past the diving keeper.

United almost pulled a goal back with six minutes to go when Burnett was through on goal but unfortunately the striker’s effort shaved the outside of the post.

Substitute James Currie got the home side’s fifth goal in the 86th minute when he was put through on goal from a good pass by fellow sub Craig Downie.

United reduced the deficit with two minutes left when some good battling by substitute Alan Tait at the edge of the box paid dividends, the big front man out muscled defender David Arthur before squaring the ball to Burnett who rattled a right foot shot into the top corner.

Kelso United: S. Treible, G. Mabon, G. Gillie, D. McNulty, D. Bowie, S. Tait, C. McClure, L. Hill (A. Tait 79), D. Burnett, C. Black, J. Lauder.