Easthouses equal to the Tweedsiders’ challenge

editorial image

Kelso United2

Easthouses Lily2

United’s league campaign stuttered once again with a draw against a workmanlike Lily side at Woodside Park.

Kelso took the lead twice with goals from Des Burnett and Jordan Lauder, but could not find the extra required to beat the visitors.

“Another two points lost,” was the initial comment by United manager Prof Blaikie. He added: “This is a game we should have won, but we did not take the chances in front of goal and, unfortunately, now Des Burnett is going travelling for a year, so it is going to be difficult to replace a 25-goals -a-season striker.”

The Tweedsiders started well and should have been two up in the first five minutes. Chris Black fired in a free kick after two minutes which found Burnett unmarked in the box, but the striker’s header went wide. Two minutes later and United front man Burnett was through on goal, this time squaring for Lauder in space on the six-yard line. However, the big winger delayed his shot and the ball was cleared by the defence.

The visitors recovered from the early onslaught and midfielder Liam Grant shot wide from the edge of the box, followed by an effort by striker John Hunter which again was just off target.

The home side went in front midway through the first half when a great through ball from Steven Tait found Burnett running at pace on goal and this time the No. 9 made no mistake when blasting past Lily keeper John Falconer.

The visitors equalised with five minutes left of the half when ex-United man Paul McDermott slotted a ball into the path of fellow midfielder Scott Borthwick who stroked past United keeper Bruce Connelly.

Connelly was then called into action again, saving at the feet of Borthwick, the ball breaking to Hunter who blasted over.

Young Connelly kept the scores level just after the break when saving at point- blank range from Ryan McQueenie.

The home side again went in front after 63 minutes when a Chris Black free kick from 22 yards rebounded off the wall into the path of Lauder who produced a right-foot thunderbolt into the bottom of the net. But United’s advantage only lasted four minutes when good interplay from Borthwick and Hunter set up Craig Stupart to angle a shot past the diving Connelly.

Kelso tried manfully in the closing stages to regain an advantage, but the visitors were equal to the challenge.