Easthouses deny Tweedsiders

Kelso United 3

Easthouses Lily 3


STUART REID reports from Woodside Park

EASTHOUSES denied the Tweedsiders two points with the last kick of the game.

Kelso controlled the opening 20 minutes. Callum McClure and Graeme Gillie exchanged some good passes for Des Burnett to fire wide of the post, followed by efforts from Chris Black, McClure and Gillie all going over.

On 22 minutes Easthouses had their first chance, a mistake by Sean Angus allowing the visiting striker a shooting chance which was well saved by keeper Scott Dowie,

Kelso continued to dominate, but to no avail. And, four minutes from the break, Easthouses enjoyed a spell during which they won three corners, but all were cleared by the home Kelso defence.

Just when looked as if a 0-0 half-time scoreline was on the cards, the ball was put through to Jordan Lauder, who fired into the net to give United the advantage.

Whatever was said in the away changing room at the interval seemed to work. Easthouses were level just two minutes after the resumption, Young passing into the Kelso box for Currie to poke home.

The visitors’ joy was shortlived, however, When Matt Laidler was fouled from behind in Easthouses box, the penalty was dispatched by top scorer Burnett. Kelso were on a high and three minutes later, after a corner was cleared, the ball fell to Chris Black 28 yards out and he fired a screamer over the keeper and just under the bar to make it 3-1.

A breakaway saw Dowie concede an Easthouses corner from a save. But, following the resultant flag kick, the goalie failed to hold the ball and it fell into the net, reducing the Kelso lead to 3-2.

Easthouses were reduced to 10 men in the 75th minute. They won a free kick on the edge of the Kelso box and as Black walked away with the ball, an Easthouses player appeared to kick him and he was ordered off.

With 15 minutes to go, it looked like United would capitalise on the man advantage with Laidler (twice), Burnett and Lauder testing the keeper,

But in the 89th minute, Angus bundled the Easthouses striker over in the box and the referee pointed to the spot, But Ryan McQueenie’s penalty kick attempt was hit well over.

Kelso must have thought maximum points were in the bag until Easthouses won a corner in the dying seconds. The referee had already made his mind up that it was going to be the last kick of the game, but Young fired the corner ball over outcoming keeper Dowie and into the net to snatch a point.

Kelso: S. Dowie, S. Angus, S. Tait, G. McNulty, G. Gillie (G. Mabon), J. Lauder, D. McNulty, C. Black, D. Burnett, C. McClure (D. Sanderson), M. Laidler.