Dunn not hitting the panic button yet

Share this article

Coldstream 5

Hawick Royal Albert 0


JOHN SLORANCE reports from Home Park

LAWRIE DUNN began the season as team boss of Coldstream, only to be dismissed from his post after just eight games in charge.

On Saturday, Dunn returned to the pastures of Home Park as manager of Hawick – and although the sun was out in its full glory, it was not to be a bright day for the former Gala Fairydean and Kelso United defender.

Hawick lost five goals, had two men sent off, six booked and suffered their sixth league defeat of the season.

Dunn, who is well aware of the fight he has on his hands, took it on the chin though.

He told TheSouthern: “Considering the side we had out I am not that disappointed about the result, or the score. We had a few players missing, fielded four trialists, had only one sub – who was a schoolboy – and I had to play myself, so we didn’t have much luck before the game had even started. In three months time, though, should we be beaten by a similar score, then I would be really disappointed.”

Albert made the early running, but with 14 minutes gone, Coldstream took the lead against the run of play. Josh McLeod whipped over a cross from the right flank and Kris O’Neil produced a spot-on finish, finding the net with a powerful header.

From here on, the hosts moved up a gear and four minutes later added to their tally. Jake Rutherford emerged the marksman, tucking away a low Josh Crawford cross at the back post.

At the other end Andy King from Hawick Waverley, one of two named trialists in the Albert line-up, forced Coldstream keeper Mark Walters into making a good save after being fed by an Andrew Maltman pass.

The Streamers had the edge for the remainder of the first half, but failed to stretch their lead.

In the 57th minute Crawford put an end to any hopes of a comeback, finding the net with a header on meeting a well-flighted cross, and 10 minutes later produced the scoring touch again when rattling in a Robert Armstrong pass.

The bustling Crawford made it a nap hand for the Streamers, completing his hat trick with a deadly finish from an Armstrong cut-back. Hawick were then reduced to 10 men when Maltman was shown a second yellow having upended David O’Neil, and a minute from time, Luke Cooper received his marching orders after having upended Rutherford.

Hawick Royal Albert: C. Anderson, A. Maltman, K. McHaughey, G. Chadwick, C. Wilson, B. Tait, A. King, L. Dunn, ‘A’ trialist, ‘B’ trialist, L Cooper.