Draw a fair result at Albert Park

Action from Hawick Royal Albert v Duns 27/09/14
Action from Hawick Royal Albert v Duns 27/09/14

Hawick Royal Albert4


Goals galore, swashbuckling end-to-end play, near misses and more than a fair share of incidents ... the crowd were certainly entertained in what was a lively 90 minutes at Albert Park.

And at the end of it all, a draw was a fitting result.

Lining up against high flying Duns, bottom dogs Hawick drew first blood by sailing into the lead in the sixth minute. After running onto a long ball from the back, Paul Brown surged forward to find the net with an angled drive.

Within four minutes, Duns drew level when George Windram tucked away a Martin Tait cut back. Hawick keeper Martin Stewart, who was making his home debut, then denied the Dingers a second in pushing away a Steven Shennan shot on the volley following a Leigh Walker cross.

In the 16th minute the Albert restored their lead when Michael McKenzie sprayed a pass to the feet of Nick Ramsay and the big striker found the net with a low shot.

After Duns Steven McHoul had skimmed the bar with a header on meeting a James Brydon free kick, Duns equalised in the 31st minute. Walker broke down the right and, with the Hawick defence at sixes and sevens, found Shennan with a cross, who carried the ball wide before firing past Stewart.

Hawick came rallying back and Duns number one Paul Tansey pulled off an excellent save, keeping out a rasping 35-yard Chris McLeod effort.

Two minutes from the break, the Dingers edged ahead, with Shennan producing the scoring touch after Stewart had blocked a Des Chisholm shot.

Following close calls at both ends following the break, Hawick equalised in the 69th minute.

A Ronald Fleming free kick was only partially cleared by the Duns rear guard and the ball broke to Brown, who rifled in his second goal.

Following fine stops by the two keepers, Duns went ahead in the 83rd minute. Brydon floated over a corner kick and McHoul rose well at the back post to net with a header.

This could well have killed off the game, but battling Albert had other ideas.

In a hectic finishing period, they pushed forward and, after Brydon had cleared a Gary Shillinglaw header off the line, the Teries notched an equaliser with a minute remaining. Fleming whipped a cross into a crowded goalmouth and Sean Loughlin steered the ball passed Tansey with his head.

Albert defender Gary Shillinglaw told The Southern: “It was a good result and yet it wasn’t as we could well have won.

“But we showed a lot of team spirit, kept plugging away and scored four goals against a team that is at the top end of the league.”