Border Amateur League round-up

Gordon 4

Hawick Waverley 2


IN WHAT turned out to be a free-scoring tussle, Gordon took the lead in the 21st minute when a Bryan Tait shot was deflected into the net by a Waverley defender.

After Taylor Hope, Callum Hope and Barry Shiel had all come near to putting Waverley on level terms, Alan Jackson put Gordon further ahead in the 37th minute.

Early in the second period, Shiel opened Waverley’s account following good work by Taylor Hope and Callum Hope.

With 54 minutes gone, however, Gordon regained their two-goal lead through a Michael Jerdin strike.

Nine minutes later Mark Carlyle put Waverley into further arrears by heading home a corner kick.

Waverley came rallying back and Kevin McGaughey and Simon Philbin both rattled the upright with fine efforts.

Four minutes from time Waverley pulled a goal back when Callum Hope found the net with an angled drive.

Hawick United 1

Eyemouth 1


GIVING one of their best performances of the season, a vastly improved United were unfortunate not to take full honours.

After Eyemouth had broken the deadlock United snatched an equaliser when Kevin Strathdee tucked away a Kevin Paterson pass. Boosted by this, United began to gain the upper hand and the Eyemouth keeper had to be at his best to keep out efforts from Strathdee and Paterson.

United continued to have the better of matters, but failed to add to their tally.

Stow 2

Tweeddale Rovers 1


Stow got revenge for their earlier defeat by Tweeddale in the Walls cup by taking all three points in this league match with two late goals.

The visitors were unlucky not to take the lead when Simon Warren headed over before Grant Wilson put Tweeddale in front when he headed in a Simon Warren cross. The same player should have added number two, but a poor touch let him down.

The second half was dominated by Stow, but Tweeddale’s defence held out until a shot took two deflections and ended up in the back of the net. Four minutes later Scott Hunter netted the winner for the hosts.

Gala Hotspur 2

Kelso Thistle 0


GALA Hotspur claimed their first win of 2011 with a battling performance against Kelso Thistle.

On a muddy Public Park surface, both teams struggled in the first half, with numerous offsides and fouls breaking up play continually.

A tactical change at half-time saw Scott Nightingale move up front for Spurs, and this paid dividends on 65 minutes as he found the back of net with a 16-yard shot.

Spurs spurned a series of chances to extend their lead and almost paid for it when the Kelso striker was clean through on goal, but miscontrolled the ball into the arms of Shaun Bell.

Penny made the points safe with a goal five minutes from time.

Selkirk Victoria 2

Lauder 0


Selkirk won their fifth straight league game to cement their position at the top of the Division C table.

But Vics struggled to get going and nearly fell behind but for a great save from keeper Jamie Lyall when the ball looked sure to hit the bottom corner of his net.

The home side grew in confidence, however, and went ahead on 35 minutes.

A Ryan Clapperton corner wasn’t cleared properly and Ryan Pritchard found himself in space 12 yards from goal to drill the ball home with his left foot.

Selkirk started the second half brightly, but neither keeper was forced into action early on. Pritchard came close to adding a second for the Vics on the hour, but his header bounced off the crossbar before being cleared.

Substitute David Deans got the crucial second goal on 70 minutes – two minutes after coming on. David Paterson’s low cross was tapped in from close range to seal the three points for the table-toppers.

Hawick Legion Rovers 1

CFC Bowholm 4


Rovers started off brightly, but it was Bowholm who opened the scoring by sailing into the lead in the seventh minute.

Cashing in on some poor Rovers defensive play, Bowholm grabbed a second shortly afterwards.

William Monteith then put Rovers back in the picture with a well-taken goal.

Rovers joy was short-lived, however, for Bowholm hit back to net twice before the break.

In the second period, Rovers started to make their mark and Monteith and Craig McCutcheon both squandered good chances to reduce the leeway.

Towards the end Dale Drummond missed a sitter for Rovers when driving a shot against the bar from close range.