Amateur and youth round-up

Lochmaben 5

Hawick Legion 2

SOUTH CUP 1st round

DEFENSIVE mistakes led to Legion’s downfall in this South of Scotland Amateur Cup clash.

A blunder at the back resulted in the Teries falling a goal behind before Jody Easdon put the visitors on a level pegging with a header.

Poor defending at the beginning of the second half saw Lochmaben stretch their lead. The hosts followed this up with another strike before Legion replied with what was the goal of the game. After latching onto a long ball from Liam Gellaitry, Scott Duncan raced forward to fire home.

The home side, however, soon regained their two-goal lead despite Ally Willison pulling off a string of excellent saves in the Legion goal.

Watt Starr 3

Hawick Waverley 3


A DRAMATIC second-half revival saw Waverley come back from the dead to earn themselves a replay.

Three goals down at the break, Waverley had an uphill task on their hands, but they knuckled down to the job in hand and gain a result that had looked beyond them at one stage.

Grant Ferguson grabbed Waverley’s first with Aiden Reilly then hitting in a second when making no mistake with a penalty. A minute from time Scott Craig hit in a last-gasp equaliser.

Hawick United 2

Selkirk Victoria 2


In what turned out to be a hard-fought encounter, Victoria drew first blood, taking an early lead through a headed goal from Nathan Douglas following a corner kick.

United equalised towards the interval when Kevin Strathdee found the net with a shot from the edge of the box.

Following the changeover, Strathdee did the business again after being set up by a Steven Ellins pass. The homesters’ new signing Sean Owens, from Hawick Royal Albert, then had a chance to score, but was denied by a fine save from Vics’ keeper Michael Fenton.

After Thomas Scott had blazed a Luke Shanley pass over the bar for United, Douglas snatched an equaliser for the visitors 10 minutes from time.

Hawick Legion Rovers 1

Gala Hotspur 9


HIGH-flying Hotspur maintained their top-of-the-table spot through a nine-goal blast.

Hotspur netted their first from the penalty spot and shortly afterwards notched a second.

After the Gala men had added to their tally, Rovers started to make their presence felt for a while and Chris Dunn was thwarted by a save by the Gala keeper. Neil Storey was then just off target with a header. Rovers continued to battle and reduced the leeway before the interval when Aaron Massie rose well to head home a Jamie Dickson corner kick.

Early in the second half Massie got on the Gala score sheet when putting the ball into his own net. From here on Hotspur ruled the roost and duly rattled away five more counters.

Hotspur scorers were: Scott Nightingale (2), Darren Tweedie (2), Gary Cleghorn, Lee Brown and Callum Gass.

Gala Fairydean Under-19s 3

Coldstream 2


A LATE Jack Hay winner gave Gala Fairydean a slender advantage going into the second leg of this first round tie.

Coldstream had taken the lead with a penalty, but Hay levelled the scores on 15 minutes.

The visitors went 2-1 up soon after before Hay was fouled in the Streamers’ penalty box, and Billy Miller scored from the spot.

The second half began with Declan Leckie picking up his second booking to leave Gala with just 10 men, but referee Paul Hanlon soon evened up the numbers after a two-footed lunge on Miller.

The tie seemed destined to end in a draw until Hay was sent clean through, and although his first shot was saved, the ball rebounded back for the in-form striker to tap into an empty net.

Duns 1

Kelso 2


KELSO kept their winning run going in this hard-fought win against Duns.

It was an even game throughout, but it was the home team that took the lead when Kelso failed to clear a goalmouth scramble. The Tweedsiders equalised after some good work from Sam Cuthers on the right wing set up Craig Logan to squeeze the ball home.

The second half started fairly evenly, but Kelso went in front when Kris Tait swivelled to volley home from the edge of the box.

Kelso went on to miss a few chances. Duns were always a threat but couldn’t get past the visitors’ defence.