Albert take their time to blow Newton out of cup

editorial image

Hawick Royal Albert 3 ­

Newton Stewart 0

Thanks to a dazzling secondhalf performance that produced three goals, Hawick earned a place in the first round of the Scottish Cup at Cove Rangers, writes John Slorance.

Before a big crowd, the Albert came close to opening the scoring in the first minute of the game, when Andy Noble fired in a fierce angled drive that appeared destined for the net until being tipped round the post by Newton Stewart keeper Harry Fidler.

Hawick number one Craig Dunsmore then proved his worth, keeping out a Liam Muir shot at the other end.

Minutes later, the woodwork came to Hawick’s aid as a close-range shot from Liam Duff rebounded off the base of the post.

The Teries replied with a sweeping raid that saw Nick Ramsay surge forward and round Fidler before shooting into the side netting.

With six minutes of the second period gone, Hawick took the lead.

And what a beauty of a goal it was.

On finding space down the left, Gordon Ramsay, who had been a thorn in the flesh of the Newton Stewart defence from the start through some darting runs, floated over a cross. Nick Ramsay met the ball on the drop and his effort raged past the helpless Fidler.

Five minutes later, the Albert Park men struck again. Gordon Ramsay once more emerged the goal provider, hurling a long throw into a crowded goalmouth and Nicky Cairns did the rest, finding the net with a glancing header.
Hawick were now well and truly buzzing and Gordon Ramsay had a shot diverted round the post by Kyle McCutcheon, before he shaved the upright with a well-struck free kick.

Then Nick Ramsay shot inches past the target on being fed by a Michael McKenzie pass.

In the 83rd minute the Albert deservedly went further ahead, and it was fitting that the livewire Gordon Ramsay should be the scorer, slotting away a shot from close range after having dispossessed Stewart Chalmers.

Hawick manager Graeme Chadwick told The Southern: “I am absolutely delighted for the players, the club and our supporters. It was a great win for us. In the first half, Newton Stewart slowed the game down by stopping us playing.

“But in the second half, we got two quick goals and dominated the game. The guys played some good football and showed great team spirit.

“I am just thrilled that we have reached the next round of the Scottish.”