Vacuum cleaner dust triggers Abbotsford fire alert

Share this article

Abbotsford House was subject to a fire alert last Friday – just over a week after The Queen officially reopened it.

However, fire crews soon discovered the alarm had been set off by dust.

A spokesperson on behalf of Abbotsford said: “The fire service did attend an automated call-out at 9am on July 12.

“This was triggered by dust from a vacuum cleaner when our cleaners were working in the private wing of the house, which is still undergoing refurbishment. Due to the 
important nature of 
Abbotsford and its collections, the fire and security systems at the house are very sensitive, however we will be giving 
additional training to our cleaning staff to try to prevent any future unnecessary call-outs.”

The home of Sir Walter Scott was reopened on July 3 following a £12million refurbishment, with around 500 guests in attendance, including Her Majesty The Queen.