Two days of road crashes hospitalise 12

Casualties were rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary
Casualties were rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary

Fire fighters used hydraulic cutting equipment to free five people trapped in two cars following a six-vehicle pile-up in the Borders this week.

Police are appealing for witnesses following what they describe as a “serious road collision” on Soutra Hill on the A68 on Monday.

The crash happened at about 5.10pm when a Honda Civic travelling north was involved in a collision with the other vehicles.

The Honda driver and passenger sustained serious injuries and were among the five rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

A further five people were treated at the scene by ambulance staff.

The trunk road was closed for several hours as police investigated.

Sergeant Roger Park from Police Scotland’s National Trunk Road Patrol Group said: “In the immediate aftermath of the collision a number of motorists stopped to provide assistance to the injured, and I would like to thank them for their help, and for remaining at the scene to assist responding officers.

“An investigation into the cause of the collision is ongoing.”

Fire service crews from Newcraighall, Lauder and Dalkeith attended.

Retired electrician Robin Jeffs from Lauder called The Southern following the accident urging action to upgrade the A68 to a dual carriageway from Jedburgh to Edinburgh.

“I feel strongly about it because some of my friends are in the fire service and at a garage, and have to go and take bits of people out of cars and recover vehicles which then have white sheets put over them because people have died in them: it’s just not on.

“Work on the railway will mean closures on the A7 and that’s going to put more traffic on the A68 in the next two years. It’s a safety issue. We need a huge roads improvement in the Borders.”

On Sunday, the A7 near Galashiels was closed for two hours following a crash involving three vehicles. A baby is believed to have been among the seven people injured in the collision at Boleside, between Galashiels and Selkirk, at around 11.30am.

Police said: “None of the injuries are thought to be serious. What caused the collision is still under investigation.”

Ambulance and fire crews attended and the injured were taken to the Borders General Hospital.

The road was re-opened at 1.30pm.