Newcastleton house fire sees lizard killed but homeowners escape

editorial image
Share this article

A lizard was killed but a snake survived in a house fire in Newcastleton this morning.

Fire crews from Langholm and Newcastleton attended the blaze at the single storey, semi-detached home in South Hermitage Street at 1.10am.

The fire is believed to have started due to a electrical fault in the tank which was home to the snake and lizard in the house’s kitchen.

There was smoke damage throughout the building, and a 53-year-old man was taken to hospital in Carlisle with smoke inhalation. Another resident from the home, a 23-year-old man, escaped uninjured.