Grants for those hit by floods

Grants are now available for flood affected residents, businesses, community groups and charitable organisations in the Scottish Borders.

Tuesday, 19th January 2016, 12:58 pm
Updated Tuesday, 19th January 2016, 1:01 pm
Photographer Ian Georgeson, 07921 567360 Scottish borders flooding, Peebles, River tweed, sand bags

The flat rate grant is £1,500, with an additional £3,000 available for businesses severely impacted by the flooding which affected their ability to trade. These amounts can be increased in individual cases if merited.

Those who suffered water inundation during Storm Desmond or Storm Frank during December are able to claim the funding from Scottish Borders Council.

The funding available, provided to the Council by the Scottish Government, is to assist those affected to protect their property from future flooding events by purchasing flood protection materials and carrying out flood resilient repairs.

Sign up to our daily The Southern Reporter Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The business grants are a one-off payment to offset costs which cannot be covered by existing insurance, for example clean-up costs, materials and exceptional costs to help the business restore trade, such as marketing and promotion.

Councillor David Parker, Leader of Scottish Borders Council, said: “These grants will enable residents and businesses to take steps to protect their properties from future flooding events, and also carry out repairs and alterations which will minimise the impact of any future flooding.

“This will be welcome support for those who have been hit by the recent floods during Storm Desmond and Storm Frank last month and we have made the scheme as simple as possible and hope to be able to distribute the funds promptly once applications are received.”

Residents and business-owners who have been impacted by the floods can apply for the funding through the Council’s website at or

Those affected can also phone 0300 100 1800, with SBC’s Customer Services staff able to fill out the form on their behalf. Forms are also available from Council Contact Centres.