A group of around 80 mums and their babies attended a talk on first aid for little ones at the Cross Keys Hotel, Kelso,
The talk was organised by Hils Robson, a doula and baby massage intructor in Kelso, and who thought mothers could benefit from a session on how to deal with medical emergencies in very young children.
“I approached the ambulance station in Kelso last year to ask if they would give a talk to some mums on things like emergency choking, and two paramedics offered to come on their day off,” said Hils.
The event proved to be very popular, and paramedics Vicki Moyes and Christine Wilson Graeme offered to give a similar talk this year.
The event attracted so much interest that Hils had to book a bigger function room at the Cross Keys Hotel than the one that was originally planned.
Vicki was forced to pull out of giving the talk due to ill health, but Christine was able to step in.
“She did a fantastic job,” said Hils. “A proper first aid course can take few days to complete and costs quite a lot of money, so mummies have been so lucky to get this – and free.”
The topics covered included how to deal with choking, burns and head injuries.
“The mums said that they had learned a lot,” said Hils. “One of the most surprising and helpful things was that, if your child is choking, you shouldn’t put fingers in their mouth, as you may push the object further in.
“Instead, you should turn the child over and slap them on the back to try to dislodge the object.”
The St John Ambulance website – www.sja.org.uk – has some good advice for parents and carers who want to be prepared in a crisis.
Advice can be sought from health visitors or GPs, but also through the minor ailments service with pharmacists, who can recommend treatments, many of which are free through the scheme.
In an emergency, don’t be afraid to dial 999.