Selkirk 39-year-old admits making threats of violence to ex

A man has been ordered to be of good behaviour for the next three months after admitting making threatening and offensive comments about a former partner and her new boyfriend.

Selkirk Sheriff Court.
Selkirk Sheriff Court.

Scott Arnold, 39, pleaded guilty to sending messages including threats of violence from his Selkirk home on July 10 and July 11.

Selkirk Sheriff Court was told that his former partner sent him a message saying she was taking their son to a barbecue with her new partner, prompting Arnold to reply: “Are you f***ing serious?”

Fiona Hamilton, prosecuting, said: “He made threats to drive to the barbecue to stop this from happening and continued to send other messages.

“The following day, the messages continued in an offensive and threatening manner.”

Arnold then sent his ex emails describing her as a slut, bitch and tramp.

The former partner said she was terrified at the prospect of him turning up at her home in Dumfries.

Defence lawyer Ed Hulme said Arnold, a self-employed electrician, had been upset about his child being taken to a barbecue with his former partner’s new boyfriend.

He admitted that he did send the messages referred to but claimed that the complainer was responding to them and not taking them seriously.

Sheriff Chris Dickson deferred sentence for three months for good behaviour, with the case being due to recall at Selkirk Sheriff Court on December 1.

He imposed special conditions on Arnold not to contact his ex and also to stay out of Dumfries.