Hundreds of Borderers have taken to social media to share their disbelief over a vicious assault on a lone middle-aged man by a group of youths in Kelso at the weekend.
The victim of the attack is believed to be Kelso Rugby Club sports therapist Doug Whitson, 47.
The assault, carried out outside the Poynder Park club rooms at around 8.15pm on Saturday, has triggered widespread revulsion and condemnation since footage of it was posted online.
Comedian and anti-bullying campaigner Robin Armstrong shared a short clip of the assault on his Facebook page on Monday with the caption: “This will haunt that man forever. A group of teens attack a 47-year-old man in Kelso in the Borders of Scotland for asking them to move away from his car.
“They knock him unconscious, screaming like a bunch animals, surrounding him.
“Sickeningly, you hear a girl say he’s ‘down dead’ before laughing.
“They continue to kick him as he lies helpless half under a car. He’s now in hospital getting brain scans.
“Get them off the streets and on the front of every newspaper.”
Mr Whitson was released from hospital after the attack, but the video has since been shared on Facebook by more than 11,000 people and viewed in excess of 624,000 times, sparking hundreds of comments and shares from shocked Borderers.
Among them are town councillors Simon Mountford and Tom Weatherston.
Mr Weatherston said: “I was shocked when I heard of last week’s incident and hope sincerely the culprits are caught and face justice.
“This is not the type of thing we are used to having in Kelso, and it must stop.
“There is also the issue of where are these youths getting alcohol. Speaking to residents in a housing estate who had problems with the same group earlier in the evening, these issues were alcohol-related.
“I would urge anyone who has information to contact the police.”
Mr Mountford added: “We can’t say too much at the moment as police investigations are ongoing. However, I can say that violent behaviour of this kind is totally unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
“Anyone with any information about the weekend incident should speak to the police as soon as possible.”
Robin, 27, of Newcastle, told us: “I share these videos to help the victims of these attacks. I have made my following over the last four years originally for my comedy posts, but after seeing an attack on a local man I used my following to quickly find the attacker.
“Since then, I’ve posted hundreds of attacks to make them viral which ends in them being dealt with.
“It protects the victim as everyone who sees the video local to them stands up and gets behind them.
“The response to this video has been the same as always – ‘get these scumbags off our streets’.”
You might also be interested in:
A police spokesman said: “The incident happened around 8.15pm on Saturday, August 25.
“A 47-year-old man was attacked by a group of youths outside the ground and was taken to the Borders General Hospital before later being released.
“Inquiries to identify those responsible are ongoing, and anyone with information is asked to contact police immediately, quoting incident number 4,585 of August 25.”
The video can be seen online by searching for @robinarmstongcomedy on Facebook.