Galashiels man on murder charge

A Galashiels man accused of murdering his estranged wife in a knife attack in her bedroom cannot remember what happened.

Miroslav Wosik’s brain won’t let him recall the events that led to the death of Bernadeta Jakubsyzk at her home in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, said defence agent Mark Wyeth QC yesterday.

Mr Wyeth was making a closing speech to the jury at St Albans Crown Court where Wosik, 42, denies murdering the mother-of two.

Mr Wyeth told the jury: “He said: ‘I don’t remember what happened and what led to her dying.’ Is there any evidence he bore hostile intent?

“There was no violent history. There were no nasty texts. No Facebook messages and no police call-outs. There was no evidence of a plan.”

The court has heard that Bernadeta, 30, died in the early hours of May 28 last year in her bedroom at her home in The Wye, Hemel.

Wosik, who had moved out of the home following marital difficulties, returned to Hemel Hempstead from his new address in Beech Avenue, Galashiels. After allegedly stabbing her to death, he is said to have knifed himself in the stomach.

Prosecutor Ann Evans said Bernadeta died from two deep stab wounds which had punctured her right lung. She bore cuts to her hands and forearms indicating she had put up a fight to try and ward off the blows. She had been stabbed once in the head.

Earlier the jury heard how Wosik’s son from a previous relationship, Daniel, ran up the stairs to find his stepmother dead on her bed and his father sitting beside her. The 18-year-old said his father told him: “Call the police, let them arrest me.”

The couple’s two daughters, aged eight and six, were asleep in the house at the time.

Forensic scientist Daniel Beaumont told the jury 
the knife, which was found under the bed, was in a pool of blood.

Mrs Evans said the couple had been together for eight years, having first met in Italy where they were working. Wosik and Bernadeta, who was also Polish, then moved to England in search of a “good life” and set up home in the three-storey house in Hemel Hempstead.

Wosik, who pleads not guilty to murder, moved to Galashiels in March last year, where he found a job in a machine factory. The case continues.