Plans have been lodged to convert a disused Galashiels church into a £2.5million housing development.
Book Developments Ltd wants to create 16 flats in the former B-Listed St Aidan’s Church in the town’s Gala Park.
The company is also seeking consent from Scottish Borders Council to demolish the adjoining church hall and build another 11 apartments.
Originally founded as the South United Presbyterian Church in 1880, it was merged with the former Trinity Church further along the town’s High Street.
The name was then changed to St Cuthbert’s. In 1974, St Cuthbert’s was united with Ladhope Parish Church, in Ladhope Vale, to become first of all Ladhope St Cuthbert’s and then, in 1981, St Aidan’s.
St Aidan’s closed in 2005, with its congregation joining with that of St Ninian’s to create Trinity Church.
St Aidan’s church and hall were finally put up for sale in 2007, at offers over £300,000.
An external inspection three years ago found some deterioration in St Aidan’s since the previous site visit – rear windows were no longer wind and watertight, glass was broken elsewhere and the building’s gutters were clogged.
The hall was in better condition, but still had clogged and broken gutters, and was steadily being encroached upon by trees and vegetation.