43-year-old admits threatening to blow up Hawick police station

Hawick police station.
Hawick police station.

An ex-Royal Navy serviceman has been ordered to carry out unpaid work after admitting making five threatening calls to Police Scotland in the space of 24 hours.

Fraser Miller, 43, in the Navy for 10 years, pleaded guilty to sending out menacing messages from his home in Weensland Road, Hawick, on June 8 and 9.

During those calls, he threatened violence to police officers, claimed to be in possession of knives and firearms and said he was going to blow up Hawick police station.

Procurator fiscal Graham Fraser told Jedburgh Sheriff Court that at around 6.30pm on Friday, June 8, Miller phoned the police from his home landline number claiming he had been knifed and that he was out for revenge, adding that he was in possession of nine knives and a pistol.

He continued: “Police officers arrived at his home, where they found him uninjured, safe and well but under the influence of alcohol.

“He denied he had contacted the police. The accused handed over some knives to the police at that point.

“Shortly after 1am, seven hours later, he again phoned the police from his landline and sounded intoxicated, saying he wanted his knives back, and he said in the course of the call about the police officers who had visited ‘I am going to kick f*** out of them and any police officer in the road I will f*****g knife’.

“The police took a responsible attitude to this and left him alone in the hope that he would sleep off his intoxication.

“At 11.45am, he again phoned the police from his house telephone wanting his knives back and again appeared to be under the influence of alcohol.

“He said to the police ‘do you want me to go to the police station and f*****g blow it up? That’s what I will do’.

“He then said he would be leaving his house and would fight anyone he came across.

“Shortly afterwards, he made another call lasting 50 minutes when he again demanded his knives back and said he had drunk brake fluid and he wanted a fight.

“He also said that if he had a gun, it would not be found.

“At around 5pm, 24 hours after the first call, there was another call to the police lasting 13 minutes demanding that the police back off, although, to be fair, they did not seem to be doing anything.

“He said he wanted a punch-up and the police would have to take him down.

“He gave his home address and phone number.”

Mr Fraser said that at 7.15pm, police officers went round to his home and found him intoxicated.

He said: “He was arrested. When cautioned and charged, he said he did not know where the police station was.

Mr Fraser added that police officers investigating the case said they had a degree of sympathy for Miller because of the medical conditions he suffers from.

Defence lawyer Mat Patrick said his client needed to address his alcohol problem.

Sheriff Eric Brown said any repetition of the offence would be likely to mean a custodial sentence.

He ordered Miller to carry out 160 hours’ unpaid work over the next 12 months.