as the winter wears on, we turn the clock back to 1895 with this photograph of a curling bonspiel on the loch of the Haining Estate in Selkirk.
We understand rinks were invited from across Selkirkshire to take part in the event.
The Haining Estate dates from the 1500s when it belonged to the Scott family. It was later purchased by John Pringle, an advocate, and remained within the family circle until 1959. The last owner was Andrew Nimmo-Smith who bequeathed the house and grounds – including the loch – to the people of Selkirkshire and the general public. It is administered by a trust which is preparing plans for its future use.
Curling wasn’t the only sport enjoyed at the Haining – the loch was, and remains, home to large numbers of pike.