UPDATED: More than one thousand visitors attended Jedburgh outdoor market yesterday, Sunday, June 27.

An outdoor market in Jedburgh High Street which went ahead yesterday, Sunday, June 27, despite a recent spike in Covid-19 cases in the town has been hailed a runaway success.

Monday, 28th June 2021, 1:05 pm
The market has been hailed a great success. (Photo: BILL McBURNIE)

There was an air of trepidation among the market organisers ahead of the event after three town hospitality venues closed their doors.

The Belters bar, the Canon pub and the restaurant at the Capon Tree are all currently closed.

Belters closed after a customer tested positive for Covid-19

Say cheese. (Photo: BILL McBURNIE)

The Capon Tree restaurant will be closed until Friday, July 2, after the chef came into contact with someone who had tested positive, although the bar remains open to customers.

And The Canon has shut as purely a precautionary reaction to the spread of the virus in Jedburgh. It is expected to reopen on Wednesday, June 30.

There have been unsubstantiated reports locally that part of the new spike in cases related to Scottish football fans who returned to the town from London after the Euro 2020 match against England at Wembley.

Meanwhile, a number of pupils at Jedburgh Grammar Campus have been told to self-isolate after coming into contact with positive cases in school.

Townsfolk behaved responsibly at Jedburgh Market. (Photo: BILL McBURNIE)

But despite that concerning backdrop there were more than one thousand visitors to the market.

One of the market organisers, Georgiana Craster, said that people “behaved brilliantly” and that fine weather on the day also helped ensure its success.

She said: “It was absolutely fantastic and the best market we have had since lockdown.

"The weather obviously helped and there was a steady stream of people coming along, most wearing face masks and all hand sanitising.

"People seemed relaxed and we had more than one thousand people over the three hours.

"We had lots of positive comments and none of the negativity which we had at the previous market in November last year.

"Takings were a little bit down but that is understandable as we had two thousand at the market in November.

"I had been a bit wary and I had a cancellation at the last minute and people were a little concerned because of what had been happening.

"In all fairness I took a Covid-19 test this morning as I was going out and mixing with other people and it was negative.

"Every single person behaved beautifully. They were not crowding in places. It was superb.

"Thank you to all the High Street traders, the stallholders, the marshalls, buskers, Kelso Farmers Market and, obvioulsy, the attendees, for making it a success.”​​​​​​​

The next market is pencilled in for Sunday, August 29.