Selkirk silence over O’Connor

0
Have your say

Selkirk FC boss Steve Forrest is staying unusually tight-lipped concerning the prospective signing of former international player Garry O’Connor.

As well as two prolific spells with Hibs, O’Connor played in the English Premier League with Birmingham City and with Lokomotiv Moscow.

The striker, capped 16 times for Scotland, was convicted for possessing cocaine in 2012 and took a year out before signing a six-month contract with Morton in January.

Things didn’t go to well at the Greenock-based club, with chairman Douglas Rae describing O’Connor as ‘hopeless and unfit’ in an interview in The Scotsman in April.

Selkirk posted on their Facebook page on Tuesday night that the 30-year-old was to sign for them, but manager Forrest told The Southern yesterday that he could neither confirm nor deny the story.

“I have been told by those back at the office not to comment,” he said.

Forrest did confirm that he and assistant manager Paul Doig had been talking to O’Connor over a long period of time and that the striker had said that he would be more than happy to use Selkirk as a stepping stone back up to Premiership football.