Not so black at Black Swan

0
Have your say

A Kelso hotel was evacuated early on Tuesday evening during a fire scare.

It happened just before 6pm at the town-centre Black Swan.

Two crews from the local Scottish Fire and Rescue Service were alerted after an alarm went off in the premises.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said the incident involved a gas boiler on the second floor of the popular Horsemarket establishment.

Four firefighters donned breathing apparatus and the spokeswoman said the incident was dealt with using two high-pressure hose reels.

The emergency was under control by 6.20pm and fire crews left the scene 20 minutes later.

Black Swan manager Gary Strathdee stressed yesterday that it was business as usual.

He told us: “My daughter Lauren was on duty and the fire service said she did everything right when the alarm sounded.

Fourteen customers were evacuated from the bar. After the emergency we were soon back in business. The boiler isn’t very good, but that is all.”