SINCE the start of January, NHS Borders has reported to Health Protection Scotland that 38 patients have been affected by norovirus in the wards that have been closed at the BGH.
However, the health board has said it will not provide total figures to The Southern on how many individual patients have been struck down by the virus, with several bays in other wards also having been closed to admissions.
A statement said: “Due to the constantly changing picture NHS Borders will not release the total number of individual patients affected until the norovirus season has ended.”
The spokesperson added that all areas of the BGH affected were subject to an ‘enhanced cleaning regime’ and, prior to reopening, rooms and bays were deep-cleaned.
On Monday it was confirmed all wards had been reopened to admissions, but patients with gastro-intestinal symptoms remained in isolation.