ONE of the oldest bowling clubs in the Borders has submitted plans to build a new pavilion.
Jedburgh Bowling Club wishes to demolish its current facility and replace it with a modern clubhouse which would be almost double the size.
The club has previously had permission from Scottish Borders Council to construct a new pavilion, but it has now lapsed, requiring a fresh bid.
The club was formed in 1859, obtaining a lease of a garden known as Allars Bank, located on the site of the current swimming pool.
By 1895, a new green at its current site in the Hemphole area was opened, but the club struggled for membership numbers during the First and Second World Wars.
With membership at only 24 in 1963, the club decided to enter the Border League the following year, and promptly won the competition.
The year 1978 is regarded as one of the club’s finest, with a host of trophies won, including the Border League.
And in 2009, the 150th anniversary of the club was celebrated, with numerous events held throughout the season, including a dinner in Jedburgh Town Hall with nearly 180 people in attendance. In the same year, the club spent £4,000 to make repairs to its green.
In 2012, Jedburgh’s ladies rink of Helen Hogg, Mabel Dick, Ann Gilfillan and Irene Natters made the Scottish Championship finals, only to be knocked out in the first round.
A decision is expected on the pavilion plans by Scottish Borders Council by the end of next month.