THE CONDITION of a Stow hiker has improved after he was rescued from hills between Selkirk and Innerleithen, writes Kenny Paterson.
Phil Morgan, 49, was discovered unconscious in his tent in the Minch Moor area in the early hours of last Friday morning.
He remains in Borders General HospitaL where he is being treated in the Intensive Care Unit.
Twenty members of the Tweed Valley Mountain Rescue (TVMR) team took part in the two-hour search alongside police officers.
But TVMR team leader Steve Penny said that steps taken by Mr Morgan before he was found aided the rescue bid.
Mr Penny said: “By phoning his partner on Wednesday night to say he was camping overnight, it made it a lot easier for us to know where to find him. That was a key piece of information.”
Mr Morgan had been walking the Southern Upland Way but uncharacteristically he did not phone the next morning, and when he failed to return home as expected on Thursday afternoon, the alarm was raised.
The TVMR team started the search of the Southern Upland Way at about 10pm and the walker was found just after midnight, and treated at the scene.
It is believed he was suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning from camping equipment fumes.
Due to low cloud conditions, the Sea King helicopter from Prestwick could not carry the stretchered casualty off the hill so TVMR team’s ambulance transported Mr Morgan to Broadmeadows where he was taken to the BGH by paramedics at 2am.
Mr Penny added: “He required speedy evacuation from his position on the hill for treatment in hospital.
“Conditions were not ideal, with poor visibility due to low cloud and mist, and this incident drew on many of the skills that our team members train hard for all year.”
This brings to six the number of incidents attended by the Selkirk-based TVMR team this year, including a callout to help evacuate an injured horserider from Gala Hill above Galashiels.