Council still in talks over how to cut senior staff

1
Have your say

Despite announcing last week that the number of directors and chief officers is to be slashed,the council is still in discussions over how to do it.

The number of directors will be halved and the chief officers cut by 40 per cent, chief executive Tracey Logan announced last week.

However, she told The Southern yesterday: “We are looking to implement the new structure over the next six to twelve months.

“As we are still consulting with staff it would be premature to discuss exactly how the number of senior officers is going to be reduced.”

She added: “The key aim of the restructure is to enable Scottish Borders Council to reshape itself to meet the significant challenges facing public services in the future.

“The new structure has been designed to enable the council to deliver better and more responsive local services to the people of the Scottish Borders.

The changes, which were approved by councillors in private last Wednesday, will see the existing four directors replaced by two depute chief executives.

The council has also announced that services will be ‘grouped together’, meaning the number of chief officers can be cut from 19 to 12.

The restructure will save £100,000 and result in the reinvestment of over £600,000 into operational services.

Ms Logan said: “It is important to state that the restructure is not primarily about making savings, important though they are, but about ensuring the council is effectively structured to deliver the changes needed to successfully meet demands on our services into the future.”

She added that it would lead to a “more focused, fit for purpose” leadership team.