POLICE have warned those responsible for the removal of speed cameras in the Borders that they are risking a prison sentence and even their own lives.
Between Saturday night and the early hours of Sunday morning two more cameras on the A68 were targeted by vandals, those closest to the Carter Bar, at Camptown and Huntford.
This brings the total number of cameras on the route which have been attacked with a high power saw to six, in less than a year.
Police are investigating the incident and are treating it as theft, vandalism and attempting to pervert the course of justice, and are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.
Superintendent Denise Mulvaney, from Lothian and Borders Police, said: “It is extremely disturbing that there appears to be a systematic campaign of violence aimed at safety cameras.
“The method used to attack the cameras is highly dangerous, the people responsible for these actions are putting their own lives at risk, as well as the safety of others.
“Anyone who comes into close contact with a camera that has been attacked in this fashion could be electrocuted.”
Supt Mulvaney added: “I’m urging any member of the public who has information they think might relate to any of the crimes aimed at safety cameras to contact the police on 101 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously.”
A spokesperson for Lothian and Borders Safety Camera Partnership said: “While the fixed safety cameras are out of action mobile safety camera deployments will take their place.”
The speed camera at Newtown St Boswells, which was attacked in December, has recently been replaced, and the spokesperson confirmed that the other cameras vandalised will also be replaced.
A camera near Oxton was attacked last July before one at Earlston was struck in September. The Newtown site was hit by vandals in December and last month the camera at Longnewton was removed.