Assurance on Kelso school

A visualisation of the new Kelso High School
A visualisation of the new Kelso High School

The Scottish Government says it has put measures in place to safeguard the delivery of a new high school for Kelso.

There was concern recently, when it was announced that planned building work for the new £21.4million secondary in the town had been delayed due to a new European ruling.

The law change affected a number of new building projects being processed through the Scottish Futures Trust (SFT).

They were originally being treated as private sector projects, but now must be considered public sector.

However, in a written response to a question from local Conservative MSP John Lamont, education secretary Angela Constance said government resources were “in place to support Kelso High School”.

Local councillor Tom Weatherston welcomed the news: “Everyone in Kelso was very disappointed and a bit worried when we were told of the delay to the high school project.

“However, following a question at the Scottish Parliament on Tuesday from John Lamont in relation to the high school project, he was told the government had measures in place for the delivery of the school.

“This is very good news and hopefully we will be told shortly if there are to be any amendments to the timescales. As soon as we hear anything we will inform the public.”