Walter weekend!

Scott's Selkirk 2011.
Scott's Selkirk 2011.

It was back in time at the weekend as locals and visitors celebrated Scott’s Selkirk, with Sir Walter himself once again strolling the streets he pounded in the early 19th century.

There was music, story and song and much dressing-up over two days of sheer enjoyment, despite some biting winds and low temperatures.

But the snow which forced last year’s two-day event to be cancelled kindly stayed away and didn’t arrive until the early hours of Monday morning, by which time Selkirk was again back in the 21st century.

But one victim this year was the Maister of Scott’s Selkirk, Tommy Combe, who injured his knee just 15 minutes before he was due to conduct the opening ceremony.

His duties were quickly taken on board by committee volunteer Edith Scott, who was assisted at the Market Place launch by Provost Les Millar and local sheriff and writer Sir Walter Scott – alias Selkirk actor John Nichol.

Tommy was able to join the celebrations later on crutches.

He told us: “I was obviously disappointed, but the weekend went well and everybody seems to have had a great time.

“It was unfortunate about the wind on Saturday, but overall everything went pretty well.

“The stall holders seemed reasonably happy. Sunday is normally quieter than the Saturday, but this year Sunday was busier than normal.

“The fireworks display was absolutely brilliant.

“Last year, we asked the children in the schools what they would like to see and most of them said they wanted the horses and carriage to return. So it was great that we were able to have them return after an absence of four or five years.”

Visitors were spotted from Northumberland and Glasgow.

Stand-in Maister Edith Scott told us: “The only blight was some vandalism on Saturday night when some local youths smashed strings of lights, but local electrician Graham Maine, with the help of Dougie Squance, came to the rescue.”

Picture special – pages 8-11