Branches of the Royal British Legion across Scotland gathered around the grave of Field Marshal Earl Haig at Dryburgh Abbey on Sunday.
The occasion was the annual Founder’s Day Service to commemorate the life of the man who gave birth to the British Legion shortly after the end of the Great War.
They came with their standards which were dipped in tribute to the man whose home, the adjacent Bemersyde, was gifted to him by “a grateful nation”.
The service was conducted by the Borders area chaplain of the Royal British Legion Scotland, the Reverend Michael Scouler, and the Reverend Sheila Moir, the minister of Maxton, Mertoun, Newtown and St Boswells.
The president of the Legion in Scotland, Alistair Irwin, was there and Lord Astor of Hever gave the address. Lord Astor is the under secretary of state at the Ministry of Defence, the House of Lords spokesman on defence and president of the Haig Fellowship.
During the service the pipe lament The Flo’ers o’ the Forest was played and wreaths were laid on the Field Marshal’s grave. Douglas Haig was born on June 19, 1861 and died on January 29, 1928.